From recent research, it has been discovered that a larger percentage of people use search engines to do their research on a product or service they want to get, as opposed to the lower percentage of people who use social media to do their research. This information makes search engines like Google and Bing great platforms to promote your business websites and gain leads and conversions. Because of this, more digital marketing strategies are invented frequently to aid business websites’ promotion. It is at this point that Search Engine Marketing comes in.
Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
This is a highly effective digital marketing strategy used to increase search engines’ ranking and invite quality traffic to your website. While most people do not know the distinction between SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and SEM because SEM was once used as a general term for everything related to online search marketing, the two terms now mean different things. SEO covers techniques focused on improving the organic positioning of websites and webpages on Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs), e.g., Google. These organic results are always displayed at the center of the page and are selected by Google’s algorithm. On the other hand, SEM refers to techniques aimed toward appearing among paid results.
Search Engine Marketing can be summarized as a series of techniques, strategies, and tools focused on optimizing search engine advertising to the fullest, appearing at top positions on SERPs, getting lower costs per click (CPC), and getting as many conversions as possible from these ads. The most used SEM platform is Google Ads; however, other platforms like Bing Ads exist. Ads shown on Search Engine Result Pages (SERPs) are usually in the form of text ads and shopping ads. Without a doubt, SEM has revolutionized the way ads are targeted, allowing many businesses to gain exposure and reach a larger audience.
If you plan to start a website for your business or own one and want to boost your website’s online presence and direct valuable traffic to your website, why don’t you invest in Search Engine Marketing? Your business’ product or service must appear at the top of a SERP when a user searches for it. This isn’t always possible organically because other businesses pay to make sure that their websites appear above yours.
Why You Need Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
- It is the fastest way to be first on SERPs. Whenever you search for something on Google, and the search page comes out, you notice that ads usually come up first before organic results. If your keyword bid is high enough and your quality score is good, it gives your paid search ad a great chance at being at the top of SERPs. The goal of getting clicks in search engines is being on the first page or at least near the first page because clicks tend to drop lower after that, and SEM becomes less effective. When you enter your ad auction, it is imperative to bid on keywords with enough commercial intent to help you come on the first page of a search engine.
- SEM brings in quality traffic and leads. Traffic generation organically can be a tedious and long process where the results can only be seen in the long term. Search Engine Marketing helps you quicken this process and get users to your website from the beginning. One of the biggest advantages of search ads is bringing in quality leads; you can also be assured that these users are quality leads interested in what you offer because they have searched for it. With SEM, you can create an audience that will be more likely to see and engage your ads than the average searcher. The use of negative keywords can also help you filter users coming to your site through PPC (pay per click) ads, further improving your odds of converting.
- It is budget-friendly. One of the best advantages of Search Engine Marketing is that it is a fitting solution for companies of all sizes because of its affordability. You can choose to adjust the ad spending depending on your budget analysis, ensuring that your money is optimized to the fullest potential as you want it to be and is not wasted. Also, you are provided with unlimited exposure because of the pay-per-click strategy because you are only liable to pay if someone acts. If no one clicks and acts, you will not be charged, and awareness for your brand will also be established. This poses a win-win monetary benefit situation that business owners will be excited to optimize to the fullest.
- SEM is fully focused on conversion. The major goal of SEM tools is to improve business results. Creating the most convincing landing pages come into play here so that users can be convinced into the path of conversion. Conversion can mean marketing campaign objectives like new subscribers, signing up for newsletters, purchasing goods and services, etc. SEM is important in gaining conversion because paid ads lead to more conversion through landing pages, while organic results do not necessarily lead to landing pages.
- SEM generates immediate and measurable results. Unlike other forms of online marketing, Search Engine Marketing has the potential to deliver fast results. Ads do not usually take a long time to create, you can do it in one business day, and after that, you can sit down and watch the clicks rush in! After an ad is launched, the potential to start getting more clicks and sales comes alive. Also, you can measure your ad campaign and how effective they are at attracting new customers. Google Ads provides numerous metrics on ad campaigns and lets you know what is happening at all times. It makes it easier to correct whatever needs to be corrected and helps you keep your campaign goal in focus to achieve better results.
- SEM helps in targeting a niche geographically. You can advertise in various languages and choose the location where you want your ad to appear; you can pick a country, a city, or even a specific region anywhere. It helps you filter your target audience and helps you maximize your budget on ads to the last.
- SEM helps in increasing your brand’s online visibility. Even if a user sees your ad but does not click on it, your business is still getting online awareness. When your ad shows up on search pages, your brand name is in the headlines; a brief description, display URL, and extension links of the ads are usually displayed. It is like a signpost; even if users don’t ‘touch it,’ they see it, and your brand becomes somewhat familiar to them.
Summing It All Up
Search Engine Marketing has been proven repeatedly to help bands achieve heights of success they could not dream of reaching through organic marketing in short amounts of time. It has the potential to offer conversions and more money, helps brands get to the top of SERPs, and is great for local and mobile marketing.
It is important for businesses to focus on implementing SEM for their websites to see immediate and long-term results, simply because what is there not to love about Search Engine Marketing?